Monday, November 24, 2014

If God Originated It, He Will Orchestrate It...#preachinggospeltomyself

The past two weeks at church we've talked about finances. It was a reminder of what I have seen God do personally in our lives the past two years and how God always supplies our needs. Not all my wants, but always my needs. I want to share, not to bring any glory to Ryan and I, but to share how great our God is. When Ryan and I decided to adopt we had no idea how we would pay for it, but each time when needed to send in the next payment, the money was always there. When we try and look back at our finances it makes no sense how we were able adopt with no debt and still have money in savings. Ryan even felt led to start tithing during this time and we never did without.

Back in February we felt God calling us to full time missions in Ethiopia. After much prayer Ryan and I both felt we should do a trial trip this Summer and the Post family agreed that this would be a great idea to see the ministry first hand and make sure this was our fit. One night we emailed Trent and Carmen and told them we were planning to do a month long trip sometime this Summer. As soon as we sent the email Ryan and I both looked at each other and said, how are we ever gonna pay for this? We had just spent thousands of dollars traveling last year to Ethiopia twice and here we were planning a third trip that would cost us $6,000 just in airfare. We both decided that since this was a trial trip we wouldn't fundraise or tell anyone we needed money. We trusted that if God wanted us there He would get us there. Two days later I went to the mailbox and there was a letter from our adoption agency reimbursing us $500 for submitting our home study early.  About a week later I retrieved the mail and there were two more checks. One where we had over paid on our Escrow and another bill that I had accidentally paid twice! Then a client of mine left me a very nice unexpected tip. I was amazed how in one week God showed up in such a big way! This year was also the first time we could apply for our adoption tax credit. With the money we'd already received, plus the money from getting our tax money back we had almost exactly the amount we needed to purchase our plane tickets! You cannot make this stuff up!! God provided the $6000 in two months that we needed.

Now I'm not saying that if you give or tithe that God will pour a bunch of money in your bank account. The whole prosperity gospel thing is crap. We've had to change our life style a bit, but I've never regretted it. I've seen first hand that you gain a joy and peace that far outweighs anything materially you could ever want. So why am I sharing all this...I am amazed at how detailed and personal our God is and I needed to write this to remind myself of how I need to trust him with all the details of my life. I like to be in control and have a plan. I can see how I daily need to surrender and trust my Father knowing that He's got this. He is constantly at work and His fingerprints are all over the journey when I look back. So I keep moving forward with just enough light for the step I'm on, knowing that He goes before me. I keep going back to this quote from Andy Stanly at Catalyst..."If God originated it, He will orchestrate it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS