Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"Jesus just told me something guys"...What Nara thought about our trip.


Going into our trip one of our biggest concerns would be how Nara would do being back in Ethiopia so soon. Many of you asked, so I'm gonna share a bit about our trip from Nara's perspective. She was super pumped about flying and requested to sit in the window seat of the plane. During take off and landing she had her face glued to the window and excitedly kept pointing and showing me the clouds.   We definitely have a travel lover on our hands. Almost a day later we finally arrived in Ethiopia. From the get go everything seemed to feel familiar to Nara in a good way and not a bad way like we had feared it might. The first few days at the day center she acted a bit stand offish and was really taking things in. I'm sure the street boys smell, clothing and the building may have reminded her of some past memories. However it didn't take her long and after a few days was joining in on the fun at the day center and picking around and playing with them. The most exciting day we had there was when we witnessed three of the boys moving off the street and into a Transformation home with their new house parents. The boys were overjoyed as they saw their beds and clothes. We were going to have them burn their old street clothes but the rain was too much. They threw them over a steep cliff instead symbolizing leaving their old life behind. The perfect visible representation of the old life being gone and how Jesus washes us and makes us new, giving us new life! We then gathered around the boys as Mr. Kramer led a prayer. He prayed Ephesians 3:20 over the boys and I couldn't help but stand there with tears streaming down my face. "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more that all we could ask or imagine because His power that is at work within us." This verse has continually kept resurfacing over and over again during this past year. Before I left for this trip the girls at work asked me what my favorite verse was. I told them that I had many but for some reason Ephesians 3:20 had been one I'd pondered over a lot lately. My coworkers later surprised me with a handmade sign with the verse written on the back and messages of encouragement. Praying this prayer daily now and that God would do more in Ethiopia than I could ever imagine and also in my own life. Not because of my own strength and power. That won't get me far at all...but because of HIS power that is at work within me.

STREET BOYS NO MORE...

 Ok so getting back to my story...Trent was driving us home that night and as we pulled away from the transformation home, out of the blue Nara says, "I hope someone takes those other boys home." She was talking about the other boys, our newest friends at the day center who would still be sleeping on the streets that night. Then we asked her what we should do about that? What's your strategy? She replied, "we should just go in the street and look for them." She gets so much to be so young. Better than most adults do. We thank God for her heart for the hurting and the orphan. The next day we were having a family day and Ryan and I are discussing our feelings over moving to Ethiopia. Again, out of nowhere, Nara says, "Agghh, just quit talking about it." We told her it was important and and kept talking. Nara stops us again and says, "Jesus just told me something guys." We asked her what and she replied, "Jesus told me that we are 'posed to move here." Jokingly we asked her how He told her that and she replied, "Cause He lives in my heart." Duh, right? We told her we should pray about the decision and she volunteered to pray. She prayed, "Dear Jesus, thank you for mommy and daddy. Thank you we have fun today. Help us if we move here. Amen." Nara's depth of understanding amazes us daily. Child-like faith. We are praising Him for already whispering truth and His love into her little heart and preparing her for the days ahead. A trip that we thought may cause her to be confused or mistrust actually did the opposite. Since we brought Nara home last year we have had trouble getting her to sleep in her bed all night. She usually would wake up and feel the need to come check and make sure we were in our beds and that she hadn't been left alone. On our trip the three of us had to sleep in a bed together. I always swore I would never let her get used to sleeping with us and felt she would certainly be ruined after three weeks of this. Since we have been home from our trip she has slept in her bed every night! Our trip was like a trust exercise. She sees that no matter what we are a family. Whether we are here in the states or traveling halfway around the world to Ethiopia. She even said herself a few weeks ago, "Daddy, I love you no matter what and we are gonna be together forever. Me, you and Mommy." She's got that right ;)


NARA AND I WITH OUR FRIEND AMY WHO IS ON STAFF AT THE DAY CENTER




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS